Posted on December 2, 2015
The Netflix Tag
It’s been a while since I wrote a blog post with a tag game in it. But I think I just found the perfect one.
One of my favourite things to do on a Saturday night is to get some snacks, grab a drink and get lost in some films or series. And ever since I got Netflix it has gotten a lot more simple to just plop down on the couch and start binge watching. So what could be more appropriate than to answer the Netflix Tag that is doing the rounds on the internet.
While I watch plenty outside of Netflix, all my answers are only about the series that are available there.
What are some of your current favourite series to watch?
I follow a huge variety of series so my watchlist is pretty full. But with most of them I feel I can easily skip a few seasons and binge watch them later on while farming in World of Warcraft or when I am working on other hobbies (like painting warhammer).
But I do have a few which I really like to actually watch as soon as the episodes are being released. And currently those are House of Cards, Daredevil and Archer. I loves those series all for different reasons and I am always happy to see when new episodes or teasers are being made available on Netflix.
All of those series are currently on hiatus and waiting for new season to be released in 2016. So that means I have some time to catch up with other series that I neglected in the mean time. However once they are back on, it’s time to start binge-watching in the weekends.
What are you currently watching?
Since I heard a lot of great things about Jessica Jones I just started it and it seems I am getting hooked. I do have to applaud Marvel for their last two titles in TV format. Both Jessica Jones and Daredevil are really well made, with great stories, acting and characters. The villains are intriguing and scary at the same time and the heroes are not simple cardboard figures with a cape.
Penny Dreadful is another title that I am catching up to. I like to watch this series late at night and I am almost finished with it. I don’t know exactly why it has struck a chord with me, but I think it has to do with the setting and Eva Green’s beautiful and haunting acting, I will be very sad when I am through with the last few episodes.
I am actually getting ready to re-watch some of House of Cards so that I am ready for the 4rd season when it airs somewhere early 2016.
If you could have any series added to Netflix, old or new, what would it be?
– Supernatural, so I can play catch-up to it. I was promised cool Demons by my friends and I am curious to see if they were right. We still haven’t gotten it on the Dutch Netflix though.
– Bones and/or Crossing Jordan, I love shows about medical examiners and these two were my favourite. Sadly Crossing Jordan was never entirely shown on TV here and Bones is mostly re-runs.
– X Files, this was my favourite show when I grew up and I would love to re-watch it all again. Episodes like Tooms, Beyond the Sea and Fire are among my favourite that I would like to see again.
– Medisch Centrum West, (old Dutch medical drama) just for nostalgia. I used to watch this with my mother when I was a bit older and it was a huge thing to talk about with friends. Basically this was the Dutch version of Grey’s anatomy.
– Flying Doctors, Another series with doctors of the Royal Flying Doctors who saved lives in the outback of Australia. Like the previous series I used to watch this with my mother. Sadly with both series they did bring out some dvd sets but these weren’t available for long and when I found out they had been sold out.
What are your Netflix peeves?
Basically I have three major peeves.
1. That some series can suddenly disappear without notice and it is not always clear when this exactly happens and which titles are affected. I have to sign up to a news letter of another site to hopefully get timely updates on what is being removed.
2. There are a lot of nice titles available in the UK and in the US. However many of these titles are not available here. Or we get them incomplete ( so the last seasons or entire first seasons are not available). This makes it very annoying to watch.
3. The way you search Netflix is not very user friendly. Often I love to just snoop around and see if something strikes my fancy. But even then I often have to have specific titles if I want to see some stuff as they never appear while browsing. I wish they would have an option that made it easier to make selections.
What are your essentials for a perfect night in with Netflix?
I prefer to watch series in the evening. Chilling on the couch with some tea or cider (if it is the weekend) and perhaps a few snacks. Preferably without anyone disturbing me, so proper Netflix and Chill (not that nonsense that is now being hash-tagged). And in the winter I love to wear some warm comfy gear and light a nice candle for some atmosphere. Mushy.. I know.
Recommend one series or film for someone else.
That really depends on the person and what their interests are. But so far if I recommend series like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black or Daredevil I almost always get positive comments that people really got hooked on those series. So I think these are three of my “Go to” series when people ask what my recommendations are on Netflix.
And if they really want something to just watch, laugh and not over-think stuff.. Archer. Always Archer.
With Films I am a fan of V for Vendetta because it shows what fear can do if it makes you give away control to others. Shawshank Redemption, it is such a classic about a friendship and the road to possible redemption. And The Usual Suspects, it has an excellent story, great acting and a few things that made this an instant classic. A lot of other films took inspiration from this one but few ever succeeded.
Name a series or series, on Netflix that you keep meaning to watch, but haven’t.
– Once Upon a Time, I have actually watched season one when it had just been released. But due to other series demanding my attention and the many videogames this has sadly fallen to the way side. I do hope to pick it up again somewhere in January.
– Pretty Little Liars, I heard a lot of good stories about it but so far I haven’t been able to really get the time to start watching it yet.
– Hannibal, again it came highly recommended but I haven’t been able to start on it yet. It is on my watchlist though.
– Walking Dead, I need to watch the last two seasons to get totally up to date. For me the third season was a really nice one as I was looking forwards to the Woodsbury storyline. However the resolution of that and the development of The Governor’s character kinda put a damper on it. But I am ready to give it another shot.
Did you discover anything awesome because of Netflix?
I was finally able to watch RuPaul’s Drag Race. I heard a lot about it from friends in the US and from seeing posts of the contestants looks on beauty channels. But truth to be told I never really looked it up to watch it.
Until it was released on Netflix and I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I was hooked instantly and binge watched through 6 seasons. I fell in love with the make up, the creativity and the awesome contestants. If I ever feel down, I just start watching that show and it really cheers me up.
I hope you liked reading my answers to the Netflix Tag.
So what are you favourite shows and do you have any recommendations for me?